Saturday, September 4, 2010

Spinach and pine nut pasta from 1000 vegetarian recipes





I liked the combo of flavors in this dish! Pictured here are gluten free penne--but you can use whatever pasta and pasta shape you want. Quick dish to make too!


Ingredients:

2 cups dried pasta shapes
1/2 cup olive oil (NOTE--I ONLY USED A FEW SQUIRTS OF OIL ON MINE)
2 garlic cloves, crushed (I used minced)
1 onion, chopped
3 large flat mushrooms , sliced (I USED REGULAR MUSHROOMS ABOUT 8 OUNCES)
1/2 LB fresh spinach---I used 6 ounces, but it would have been nice to have 8
2 tBsp pine nuts (found in cooking Isle at Walmart)
5-6 tbsp dry white wine
salt and pepper
parmesan shavings, to garnish (I OMITTED)

1. Bring water to boil and add pasta and cook until tender and still firm to the bite. drain.

2. MEANWHILE: heat oil in large pan. Add garlic and onion and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally for 1 minute. (I prefer cooking onion at a medium heat for a few minutes, then turning down and cooking garlic with for a bit).

3. Add the sliced mushrooms to the pan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. (I cook longer than this)

4. Lower the heat, add the spinach, anc cook, stirring occasionally, for about 4-5 minutes or until the spinach has just wilted.

5. Stir in the pine nuts and wine, season to taste with salt and pepper, and cook for 1 minute.

6. Transfer the pasta to a warm serving bowl and toss the sauce into it, mixing well. Garnish with shavings of parmesan cheese (if using) and serve immediately. NOTE--I JUST ADDED THE PASTA TO MY IRON SKILLET SINCE MINE IS BIG AND IT MIXED EASILY!

No comments: