Tuesday, January 14, 2014

kidney bean veggie soup with coconut milk--full of flavor!



 This recipe is full full full! of flavor. I found this here http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/vegetarian-recipes/pinto-bean-soup-recipe.php and used kidney bean in place of the pinto beans which I can't have. I love this.

Go there for the how to, but here are the ingredients:

  • 3 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 large yam or small butternut squash (I used butternut)
  • 2 stalks celery
  • 1/2 head of cauliflower
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded. If you don't have it, use a pinch of cayenne (I used cayenne)
  • 2 thin slices raw ginger, peeled, or 1/2 tsp dried, if you don't have fresh
  • 1 - 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 tsp brown mustard seed (I used a bit of mustard powder)
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin seed
  • 1 tsp. ground coriander seed
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp gr fennel (I used a bit of fennel seed)
  • 2 tsp dry basil leaves OR 2 Tbsp minced fresh (I used fresh)
  • 2/3 cup coconut milk (I used a bit more)
  • 2 1/2 cups cooked pinto beans (OR 2 cans drained & rinsed)) (I used Kidney)
  • 2 cups water or bean cooking liquid (I used veg broth and a bit of bean broth)
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/2 cinnamon stick
  • 1 vegetable bouillon cube (I omitted since I used veg broth)
  • 1 Tbsp soy sauce (I used to taste--may have been more) 
  • 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
  • 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper or to taste
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves


















































































































Go to link for directions

No comments: