Monday, February 20, 2012

black bean brown rice red pepper dish (like stuffed red pepper)--good dish for Lent



This tastes very similar to stuffed peppers. I really enjoyed this. I used some really good rice grown here in SC.

1 cup uncooked brown rice
1 can black beans, drained
1 can of dice tomatoes
5 cloves of chopped garlic
1 onion, chopped
1 large red bell pepper , chopped
salt and pepper
optional : lime juice, taco sauce or salsa 
optional: a can of corn

Cook the brown rice according to directions. When rice is about 15 minutes away from being done saute in a separate pan the onion and the red pepper (about 12 minutes). Add the garlic to the onion mixture heating through about 2 minutes more. Add the tomatoes to heat through. Add the beans. Mix the rice with the tomato/vegetable mixture. Add Salt and pepper. (At this point we had to go out and I just put this all in a casserole dish that was covered and stuck it in the oven at 200 until we got back!I added a bit of water so it wouldn't dry out--we were out about an hour--but you don't need to do this)

We served this with some Brussels sprouts and lima beans.  

I like the taste of this without the added taco sauce because I like the taste of a stuffed pepper. My husband liked it with taco sauce--it would be good served on tacos also!

No comments: