Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Salmon/potato pie Gluten Free (could make sub for Vegan)



We loved this dish---nice and satisfying with good flavors! I found the basic recipe at the http://mymommymakesit.blogspot.com/ I did change a few things for us. If you wanted to go Vegan you could omit the eggs and salmon and replace with some veggies--just the pea, potato cream sauce is good and you could add some suitable veggies. My version would do 4 servings along with salad and bread.

Hard boil 4 eggs, cool and chop into large pieces (I used 2 eggs)Peel, boil and cut 6 red potatoes into rounds a 1/4 inch thick (I used golden potatoes)
Drain and flake 2 cans of salmon (I just used a 7 1/2 ounce can)


Make 2 cups of basic white sauce or use cream (I used 2 cups of soymilk with 3 tablespoons of cornstarch and thickened along with salt and pepper--takes 7-9 minutes on stovetop while stirring)

Finely chop one leek(my store was out--used green onions and some fresh chives)
Finely chop 1/2 cup of parsley
Defrost one cup of frozen peas


In a buttered (used pam)deep casserole dish make a single layer of your ingredients in the following order


potatoes
salmon
leeks
parsley
peas
eggs


Add dill weed, salt, and pepper to taste (used fresh dill weed--I put some in the sauce with chives as well and also added it as I layered)


Pour in a little white/cream sauce


Repeat with more layers until all of your ingredients are gone


Leave enough potatoes to create a top crust


Sprinkle generously with paprika


Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes


Cool for 10 minutes before serving

No comments: