Monday, May 25, 2009

Sloppy Lentil Joes


This had a nice flavor (very tasty!) and it does taste quite a bit like a sloppy joe. It is from DR. Esselstyn's book. It said it makes 8-10 servings, but for us it is more like 6. We had it served on rice--it would be great with cooked spinach in it or with it also!! It can be served on buns, or rice, or eaten plain etc


3 & 1/2 cups water
1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
1 bell pepper--any color--seeded and chopped (I used green and red)
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 & 1/2 cups dried lentils, red or brown (I can't find red ones)
1 15 ounce can crushed tomatoes (I used half of a 26 oz can)
1 tab low-sodium tamari or Bragg Liquid Aminos (I omitted--)
2 tab mustard, Dijon or your choice (I used a honey dijon)
1 tab brown sugar
1 tablespoon of rice vinegar (I forgot and it was still great)
1 tsp vegetarian Worcestershire sauce (I used regular and mine was gluten free)
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
fresh ground black pepper, to taste




1. Place 1/3 cup water in large pot. Add onions and bell pepper and cook about 5 minutes, until onions soften slightly, stirring occasionally.

2. Add chili powder and mix well.

3. Add remaining water, the lentils, tomatoes, and the rest of the ingredients. Mix well, bring to a boil, lower heat, cover, and cook over low heat for 55 minutes, stirring occasionally.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I tried this today. Yum!