Thursday, December 18, 2008

Indian Lentils over Rice

This was a flavorful curry and I love curry. We did serve it over rice. I believe I found this at veganfamily, but I changed this some --the steam is still coming off in this picture! For a simpler versions see down below in the red .

4 cups cooked basmati rice (I used brown basmati)
1 cup lentils, rinsed
3 cups vegetable broth
2 ribs celery, diced
1/2 onion , diced
1 red bell pepper, diced (I used 1/2 red and 1/2 green)
1 bunch spinach, chopped (I used a box of fresh organic whole baby spinach)
1 Tbs. curry powder
1/4 cup flour (I used a tab. cornstarch)
1/3 cup tomato paste
salt to taste
Optional -mango chutney served on side

Drain and rinse the lentils. In a large pot add lentils and broth. Simmer for 45 minutes or until tender.

In another pan saute celery, onion, bell pepper until tender. Add spinach, curry, flour, tomato paste--heating for 2 more minutes. Add the sauteed vegetables to cooked lentils. Simmer 5 minutes stirring frequently. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve over rice.

For a simpler version see here:

No comments: