Thursday, August 1, 2019

Cuban Black Bean Veggie burgers



Cuban black bean burgers: next time I might lower the lime which makes them a little tart and yet the left overs from the freezer were perfect. If you don't have lime I have substituted white wine vinegar--comes out very good actually. Recipe here: https://www.straightupfood.com/blog/2012/10/10/cuban-black-bean-burgers/

Here are the ingredients--go to the link for directions. I had to cook mine lower than the medium she recommends because even on medium mine burned some,but you know, I liked them this way!!. I ended up placing them in the oven afterwords to cook on the inside a bit more. These are nice topped with all your favorite fixings! I freeze mine in separate baggies and have them whenever I want--just microwave.

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 cup cooked brown rice (short-grain or sweet brown works great) White rice works too.
  • 1 ripe plantain, peeled and diced COOKED 5 min in water (see Notes below for choosing plantains-at link)
  • 1 15-oz. can cooked black beans (or 1 ½ cups)
  • ¾ cup rolled oats (I used GF)
  • 1 medium red or yellow onion chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • ½ cup grated carrots (I used the ones that come shredded all ready) 
  • ½ of a red bell pepper, diced
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice  OR White wine vinegar (maybe less--yet the leftovers were perfect )
  • 1 teaspoon lime zest
  • ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
  • 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • ½ teaspoon cumin

https://www.straightupfood.com/blog/2012/10/10/cuban-black-bean-burgers/
*plantain needs to be very ripe--outside pretty black and inside orange--see the photos at the link--the plantain on the left is how it should look.

No comments: