Monday, March 22, 2010

Pasta Primavera with Asparagus

We really loved this dish , but we did not like the tomatoes in it. Next time we will cook it without the tomaotes. It would also be good with more asparagus or with some added mushrooms.





I am going to give both versions. I will put my altered version in with the recipe. (Found the recipe in Family Circle).


Makes 6 servings. Prep 20 minutes. Cook 15 minutes.


1/2 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces (I could use more)
1/2 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
2 sweet orange peppers, cored, seeded and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
1 pound spaghetti (I used spaghetti for hubby and Gluten Free fettuccini for me)
3/4 cup half and half (I used soymilk and 2 tab of corn starch for thickening it
3/4 cup chicken broth
3/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
1/4 tsp black pepper (or to taste)
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tab olive oil (I omitted--just used sritz of pam in iron skillet)
5 cloves garlic, sliced
2 cups grape tomatoes, halved. (I WOULD OMIT)
Sliced mushrooms (in place of tomatoes--ME)
1/3 cup grated parmesan (I omitted and used 1-2 tab of nutritional yeast)
1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped (I forgot!)


1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add asparagus and green beans; cook 4 minutes. Add peppers and cook 1 more minute. Scoop out vegetables with a large slotted spoon and place in a colander. Rinse under cold water. (I used special pan with insert and just lifted the veggies out).
2. Add pasta to boiling water and cook following package directions. Drain and return to pot.
3. While pasta is cooking, place half-and-half (me soymilk with cornstarch), chicken broth, salt, pepper, nutmeg in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer (me--until thickened--stirring constantly).
4. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add spritz of pam (or oil) and if using mushrooms sautee and after done add garlic and cook 30 seconds. Add cooked vegetables and tomatoes (if using tomatoes). Cook stirring a few times , about 1 minute, 30 seconds. Add nutritional yeast to the soymilk/broth pot. (or cheese if using).
5. I did my bowls indivindually since I am gluten free. I just placed noodles in bowls, adding the soymilk mixture and then the veggies and combined. You can let stand a few minutes. You can add parsley if desired.

No comments: